Skip to main content

We are trying to create a Income Statement for actuals vs Budget and previous years (PY in the table below) value. Showing both monthly value and YTD. We have our metrics on the rows in the table below. 
YTD is created as a calculated item using Cumulate and all PY columns are also created as calculated items, using an Offset on version Actuals. 
The problem is that I can’t get the column to the very right “Var PY %” to show the right value, no matter how I define the calculation priority. If I put it before YTD it is blank and if I put it after YTD it calculates the variance as a percentage for each month and then sums all these percentages together which results in a totally incorrect value. 
Any ide how to set up the calculations to make this work?

Hi @Ola,
​It looks like you're trying to create a calculated item based on another calculated item, which is currently not supported in Pigment. However, you can use the show value as option to generate the YTD and the calculated item over.

If you'd like to see this feature added in the future, feel free to submit a new idea in our Community here: https://community.pigment.com/ideas.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply @Gabriel Amaro da Luz , but in this case I am having metrics on the rows, so it is not possible to create a YTD column using “Show value as”. 
And I am not really creating calculated items based on other calculated items. It is just that I have a calculated item on the month dimension and another calculated item on the version dimension. Which works great for variances in relation to other versions. The problem is that a calculation of type “% Growth” with an offset (Var (PY %)) doesn’t seem to be possible to combine with a calculation of “Cumulate” (YTD). This is what I would like to have solved. 
Is it possible to move this Question to Ideas if it is really not supported at the moment?

Hi @Ola,

Thank you for your response.

To compute the growth of the YTD, you’ll need to create a calculated item on top of an existing calculated item. The rest of the process is compatible with YTD, as it's essentially just an offset.

Since this conversation is more related to troubleshooting, I believe it would be best to create a new idea dedicated to the feature you need: have the ability to do a %growth calculated item on a cumulate calculated item.
You can do so by visiting this link: https://community.pigment.com/ideas.