Question

Using Scenarios in Formula

• 6 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hello Everyone, 

I am working on a headcount report where in I have Actuals and Budget along with the variance. 

Now I want to reference scenarios in the formulas somehow to create a metric to use this logic:

If Actuals is blank and Budget is there, it means that that seat is not filled yet.

Is there anyway to do it?

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi,

You can’t reference scenarios in formulas.

Typically if a seat is being taken, info should come from the HR system and the match happen on the seat ID.

However if your actuals come from a transaction list, your metric will be filled on every scenario so you’ll have “actuals” on your budget. Can you describe a bit more what you need ?

Badge +2

Hi Nathan, 

Actuals are coming from Workday and for Budget we have a transaction list. Currently we are using Actuals and Budget scenario but we need to incorporate the logic which we cross scenario calculation. 

Badge +2

We have had the same issue with developing a cross-scenario calculation.  An approach we used to solve it is to create a dimension list that is similar or exactly the scenario names.  They we have a boolean dimension to identify the scenario.

Depending on the use case, the scenario dimension list may be a field on a transaction list or it may be added to a metric using a [BY:] modifier.

Since the metric now has the scenario dimension, we are able to reference it across scenarios.

Each use case is a little different, although I hope this helps.

Badge +2

Hi Rami, 

Thank you for your response and looks like very interesting workaround. I will DM you to understand it more.