Solved

Align Block Exercise - Values aren't adding up right?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi. I just finished the Align Block Dimensions for Formula Operations exercise. In the final table, we are to add the four metrics we created. No problem. But, when I look at the table my bonus metric does not match the “solution”. When I check the data, it adds up correctly to year and the formulas match. Any suggestions? Same formula. Did I miss a stop in the course? I didn’t see any instructions on how to build this table, so i’m kind of winging it.

Here’s my result:

Here’s the solution:

icon

Best answer by CDALMAY 6 June 2024, 21:00

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I removed the bonus from my total. The only clue I have is that when I add the bonus to the total, the total is much higher than the sum of the metrics. 

Without Bonus

With Bonus

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @Jared Dolich,

I’m assuming this is because of a dimensionality issue as you can see with the yellow icon.

When summing metric you should make sure the dimensionality is matching and otherwise add some modifier to remove/add/aggregate some dimensions.

Can you share what is the dimension issue for those metrics ?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@CDALMAY here’s the metric giving me trouble. Says Year was added.

I removed Year from the metric and got the correct results.

How did year get added in the first place?

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Glad that was able to fix it.

Maybe because when you created the Special Bonus metric, you included both Year and Month. Thus your metric had Year and Month.

For modeling, you will rarely have the need to include 2 time dimension in a metric as Year can be inherited from Month in this case. This will cause over dimensional issues. For instance you will have a combination of FY24 with Mar-22 which rarely makes sense.